Monday, December 10, 2007

The Words of Jesus Can Be Trusted

Who can forget the sight of the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground on 9-11? It is a picture that still staggers the imagination and causes a deep emotional response. As we watched the horrific drama unfold it was as though we were watching an action movie at the theater. However, the act was real, the results were deadly and the effects are being felt to this very day.

I also confess that as horrible as that act of violence was, it probably did not impact me as great as it did others who lived so much closer, or knew of loved ones in the buildings. Here on the west coast we feel a bit isolated and insulated from events that take place on the east coast. If something were to tragically happen to the Trans America building in San Francisco or to the Golden Gate Bridge, my emotional duress would be greater because that is where I grew up.

Jesus shocked his disciples with a prophecy regarding the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. Unlike my living in the United States and the 9-11 tragedy, the entire Jewish nation was emotionally tied to the temple. It was central to their beliefs, their culture, and their very lives no matter where they lived.

As he was leaving the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!" "Do you see all these great buildings?" replied Jesus. "Not one of stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down." As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John and Andrew asked him privately, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to be fulfilled?" Mark 13:1-4

The temple that Jesus refers to in this passage is of course the second Jewish temple that was greatly enlarged under the rule of Herod. Since the first temple was destroyed centuries earlier it appears that the disciples were not in disbelief regarding its potential destruction again. It is apparent by their reaction however, that this prophecy is important to them and they wanted to know when it was going to happen.

History tells us that Jesus prophesied correctly and a few years later, 70AD to be exact, the temple was destroyed. The Jewish people it seems had been provoked by the Romans desecration of the temple and its articles. They rose up and battled the Romans for four years until Titus came with a massive army and destroyed not only the temple, but according to some calculations killed a million Jews.

Let's read the words of the Josephus, the Jewish historian who fought in the war and survived to tell about it. It is interesting to note that he surrendered to the Romans while in battle and became an informant against the Jews. He latter lived out his life in luxury as an employee of the Roman government. One can understand that even as Christians have embraced him because of his writings on Jesus, the Jews to this day call him a traitor and untrustworthy.

"The emperor ordered the entire city and sanctuary to be razed to the ground, except only the highest towers, Phasael, Hippicus, and Marianmne, and that part of the wall that enclosed the city on the west . . . . All the rest of the wall that surrounded the city was so completely razed to the ground as to leave future visitors to the spot no reason to believe that it had ever been inhabited . . . . When flames rose, a scream, as poignant as the tragedy, went up from the Jews . . . now that the object which before they had guarded so closely was going to ruin."

Jesus said it would happen and it did!

I have never been a student of prophecy because I have never really seen the need for it. That is just my own personal position, not something that I teach or promote. As a young teenager and new Christian I heard prophecy preachers on a regular basis speak with great authority as to what was going to happen in the near future. Oh, the abuse and manipulation of people still causes me to well up with anger. While I was studying in college and listening to my, at times, arrogant professors speak as though they knew better than everyone else regarding the return of the Lord, I decided not to care about prophecy. I still don't, but you may and that is fine.

What I care about is this passage of scripture and what it tells me regarding Jesus. Jesus said the destruction of the temple was going to happen and it happened. The words of Jesus can be trusted even if we do not have complete understanding.

If the words of Jesus can be trusted, then I should be concerned with Jesus' promise to return to this earth! In college and seminary I was required to study eschatology or end times, which I greatly disliked. There were, and are, so many thoughts on the timeline of future events and everyone thinks they are right. The fact is Jesus said only God in heaven knows the day and hour of his return so why in the world should I waste time studying that when there is a lost world that needs to hear about Jesus and his first coming.

Every generation of Christians has believed that Jesus was coming in their lifetime and so should we! That is the issue at hand today. Jesus said he would return and we should live as though he is keeping his word and will be here any moment. In reality if I could live with the belief that Jesus may come back today might my focus be just a little different? If Jesus returns tomorrow will I be glad? Will my soul be clean before him? Will my relationships with others be mended? Will my values be correct? Will I let go of this world easily? Will I know he is on his way because the Holy Spirit in me leaps for joy?

This is the season we celebrate the Lord's first coming, now let us eagerly anticipate his second coming!

Live It,

Dan

Copyright 2007 Eternity Minded Ministries - All rights reserved
www.eternityminded.org

No comments: