Monday, February 4, 2008

Joy in Contentment

Listen to our latest podcast on Becoming Eternity Minded with Dan Owens. Go to http://danowens.podcastpeople.com/ today to listen and/or download Dan Owens' podcast message, The God of Wonders.

Contact Jill at jill@eternityminded.org if you would like to be a podcast sponsor.

Order your copy of A Joy That Is Real by Dan Owens now for only $12.50.


Joy in Contentment
(passage from A Joy That Is Real by Dan Owens)

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:10-13

Have you ever received money you weren't expecting? Perhaps you were going through a tough time financially, and just when you didn't know how you were going to get through the month, a check showed up from an anonymous benefactor. I love to hear stories of how God has worked through people in this way.

In the context of this passage, Paul is showing appreciation for the Philippians who had provided for him in his need. Other churches had failed him, but they were faithful. At one point they had not been able to support him, but now they had renewed their commitment and Paul was writing to thank them.

Several years ago, I became the pastor at Fair Oaks Church in California. After I had accepted the position, another church which had supported my evangelism ministry, wrote a letter explaining that they could no longer contribute financially to Eternity Minded Ministries because I had become a pastor. Their mission statement did not allow them to support pastors.

After I resigned from Fair Oaks in order to spend more time with Eternity Minded Ministries, I called that church; they immediately said they would support me again. They even raised the amount from what they had previously been contributing. I didn't understand all of their reasons for stopping, but I was grateful to have them on board again.

I can relate to Paul's circumstances in this passage because I know how wonderful it feels to have people stand by you in the ministry. Sometimes I don't know how to express my thanks to those who make it possible for me to fulfill my calling to travel and preach the gospel around the world. I couldn't do it without those Christians who faithfully give to our ministry. I imagine that Paul was overwhelmed by the generous spirit of the Philippians and so grateful that they had renewed their support.

Then we come to the part that I find a little harder to relate to, Paul says, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances" (v. 11). Paul enjoyed the good life, but he had also learned to enjoy the hard life. He knew what it was to have some wealth, he knew what it was to be in poverty. Paul had experienced the classy restaurants, and he had been without food. He could be happy with the Hyatt Regency or content with a prison cell.

Most of us have been in tough times. Many of us have also enjoyed really great times. Can we say that we were content in the bad times as well as the good?

My sons, Ben and Jordan, are grown now, but when they were little our family struggled a lot more with finances than we do now. Christmas was a particularly stressful time, as we wondered how we could afford to buy presents for everyone. June was the month that my wife dreaded the most because in June there were three birthdays, two anniversaries, Father's Day, and school graduations.

As I reminisced with Jordan the other day, he was surprised to hear that for several years during his early childhood, my mother had supplemented my salary just so we could stay in our home. The cars we had were always broken down, and Jordan had to wear Ben's hand-me-downs. The roof in our house leaked, and any repair that needed to be done was always a huge drain financially. You may have been in a similar situation at some point, or maybe you are going through something like that right now. To me, it was extremely frustrating not to be able to give my family everything, and I definitely wasn't very content.

So what exactly does Paul mean when he says, "I have learned to be content"? Sometimes the best way to define a term is to explain what it is not.

God bless you,

Dan


Copyright 2008 Eternity Minded Ministries - All rights reserved
We invite you forward any of Dan Owens devotionals to your friends and family. If you received this email as a forward and would like to sign up, please visit our website at www.eternityminded.org for information on how to receive your free subscription.

No comments: