Monday, January 7, 2008

The Vine and the Branches

Today we are sending you a brief excerpt from Who Is This Jesus by Daniel Owens, along with a link to our new podcast Becoming Eternity Minded. Regular devotions, Straight from the heart of Dan Owens, will resume next week.


We encourage you to visit our podcast, Becoming Eternity Minded, at http://www.danowens.podcastpeople.com/ today to listen and/or download Dan Owens' message, The Vine and the Branches (Part I of III). Be sure to tune back in on January 14th and 21st for Part II and III.


The True Vine

"I am the real vine and my Father is the famer. He cuts off every branch of me that doesn't bear grapes. And every branch that is grape-bearing he prunes back so it will bear even more. You are
already pruned back by the message I have spoken." (John 15:1-3)


One Sunday I drove home from a speaking engagement along California's coastal highway. As we headed out of Los Angeles, we began to see vineyards popping up all over the place. In fact, the area from Santa Barbara to Morgan Hill, about a 250-mile stretch, seemed to have grown into one big vineyard.


We just gazed in amazement out our windows as we wound through the beautiful countryside. One vineyard after another made it look like a sea of grapes - it was absolutely beautiful.


Jesus used the analogy of a vineyard to describe his relationship with us. He says in John 15:5, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." He calls the Father (v. 1) the gardener, or vinedresser. Everyone has a role in God's vineyard.


Tune in to my podcast and listen to more on this topic.


God bless you,

Dan

Copyright 2007 Eternity Minded Ministries - All rights reserved

No comments: