Monday, January 14, 2008

Who Is Speaking?



INVITE DAN TO SPEAK AT YOUR CHURCH IN 2008
Email us at emm-info@eternityminded.org

We encourage you to visit our podcast, Becoming Eternity Minded, at http://www.danowens.podcastpeople.com/ today to listen and/or download Dan Owens' message, The Vine and the Branches (Part II of III).
Be sure to tune back in on January 21st for Part III.

WHO IS SPEAKING?

We have often heard the line in real life and movies, "I can speak for myself, thank you." This phrase means normally that the person would rather defend themselves or tell the story as they saw instead of someone else doing it for them.

I have learned the hard way that "speaking for myself" is not always a good thing. In fact, there have been more times than I would like to admit that I should have let someone else speak instead. As the saying goes, "Keep your words soft and sweet. You never know when you’re going to have to eat them." Ouch.

As Jesus talked about end times and as His disciples grew in their curiosity and concern, He gave them a wonderful promise. He forewarned His friends that they were going to go through difficult times and be paraded in front rulers and authorities. Jesus told them that they were going to have to speak on His behalf, but they were not to worry. Why?

"Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry before hand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit." Mark 13:11

Fear of public speaking is one of America's greatest anxieties. Jerry Seinfeld once said that at a funeral, most people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy. For many the thought of standing in front of others while called upon to speak is terrifying. Imagine how it would be if your life was truly on the line as well.

Most of us know all to well the captivity of the mind that happens when we prepare to confront a person or a situation. We play our speech over and over again in our minds. We edit, we change our emotional tone, and we prepare our best illustrations knowing that we will get one shot at saying what we really want to say. It’s exhausting and in most cases our persuasive speech never turns out the way we played it in our heads.

Jesus brings such comforting words as He tells His friends not to stress over their speeches because the Holy Spirit would do the speaking for them. Now, I know many of you are thinking that this promise is only for those who are preaching or ministering the Gospel. You might be thinking, "Sure Dan that is great that the Holy Spirit does that for you when you are preaching in India or Peru, but I am not a preacher."

The Holy Spirit who dwells in us should have the freedom to speak through us as He wills. It can be on a platform in a church or a platform at a railway station. The location does not matter as much as the message that needs to given by the Spirit. To be honest, at this stage of my life, I am more interested in allowing the Holy Spirit to speak through me in my home than I am in India or Peru.

The Holy Spirit can give intellectual words and answers to us through our minds just as we see him do in the book of Acts. And, the Holy Spirit can also give emotional words of love, compassion and encouragement to our hearts to share with others. I think we must begin with asking the Holy Spirit to control our speech every day. We should be sensitive to His leading as we are talking to a friend in need, asking the Spirit to speak to us in order to say the right things. In many ways this is what "words of knowledge" are, or the gift of discernment. It is sensing from the Spirit what is going on in a person or situation and allowing Him to bring the correct words though you. That is something we should all pray for.

I was in a setting recently when an older man, who has become a dear friend, told the audience that I had played a very important role in his life. He shared how years ago while he was trying to determine God's next step for his life and weighing a new opportunity, that I said something to him that helped make his decision. As I listened to my friend who I consider much wiser than me, I was thrilled to think that just possibly on that day many years ago that the Holy Spirit had given me the words to say to him.

At Christmas I was honored to preach at our home church here in California. I would imagine there were somewhere around 1400 people in attendance. I was blessed to bring a Christmas message in place of our faithful pastor. The next Sunday I spoke in a church service with 10 people also here in my home town. My energy level was the same for both services because they were both appointments from God that required the Holy Spirit to speak.

When we really stop and think about all the conversations we have with family, friends, works associates and strangers, we can see the need of having the Spirit speak through us. When you wake up tomorrow it may just be that the Holy Spirit has a speaking ministry for you and He wants to give you the words to say. It may be to an audience of 100, or 10 or even 1. The size does not matter because it is an appointment from God and He wants to use you! Don’t speak for yourself-let the Holy Spirit do it for you.

May the Holy Spirit speak through you many times in 2008!

Dan

Copyright 2007 Eternity Minded Ministries - All rights reserved

No comments: