Monday, May 26, 2008

A Couple of New Thoughts

While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him. "You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus," she said. But he denied it. "I don't know or understand what you are talking about," he said, and went out into the entryway. When the servant girl saw him there she said again to those standing around, "This fellow is one of them." Again he denied it. After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, "Surly you are one of them, for you area a Galilean." He began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, "I don't know this man you're talking about." Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times." And he broke down and wept. (Mark 14:66-72) I am not sure there is a more preached upon passage of Scripture than this one. I have heard more self-righteous sermons about how horrible it was for Peter to deny the Lord. With the preacher's finger pointed to the congregation asking us how many times we deny the Lord just like Peter. I have also heard sermons dealing with the humanness of Peter and how we are all weak when temptation strikes. It can almost come across like we can sin all we want because Jesus knows how frail we are. There is a bit of truth in both of those sides, but the focus should not be on Peter's failure but on the Lord's forgiveness! Hallelujah. Jesus already knew Peter was going to stumble big time, but he also knew that he would not make this a habit in the future. Yes, we all sin, but because we are filled with the Holy Spirit the Lord expects us to get beyond those sins. I would like to make a couple of different observations regarding this passage. As I meditated on it, I noticed a couple of things that I had never really thought of. I don't know about you, but I get excited when I see something new in Scripture. First thing I noticed was that pesty little servant girl. That girl was a major pain! She is a servant girl; she has no business in this whole matter of Jesus' arrest. Mark said that she looked at Peter "closely", and then we he moved away she went and followed him out into the entryway. What's up with that? The little brat made a big scene with her big mouth by drawing the attention of others to Peter. Maybe she was trying to "kiss-up" to her boss by finding out some juicy information. It could be that she was just a nasty little mean spirited girl. Let's face it; there are people like that in our world, in your world. They are at work, they live in our neighborhoods, and they even attend church. We have a neighbor down the street that is so nasty that the police have been called out over thirty times to their house. Praise the Lord we are several doors away and don't have to deal with them. It's just best to stay away from some people. You might be thinking, "Well Dan, should we try to build relationships with them and lead them to Christ?" Well, if you are ready to let the hordes of hell into your life and home then go for it. The Bible tells us that there are "God-haters" who are bent on destruction, and that means the destruction of you and your family. No wonder the Apostle Paul admonished us to stay away from mean nasty people who just like to make life miserable for others. Just because someone smiles and uses church words does not mean that they are people that you want to let into your home. Now, the second thing I noticed was Peter's words after he cursed. I have never really thought about how sad they are. Peter said, "I don't know this man you are talking about." That is so sad because I believe Peter was telling the truth-he did not know the man. Have you ever been in one of life's situations where a person changes before your very eyes? How many couples have decided to divorce with the final words of, "I don't even know you anymore" being said? How many friends part company with the words, "I thought I knew you, but I guess I didn't?" It is horrible to think you know someone only to find out you really didn't. Peter thought he had Jesus all figured out. He thought he knew what the plan was for this new Kingdom that Jesus was going bring. He thought that Jesus was Lord, Messiah, and ruler, but in the end Jesus was arrested and led away. What kind of ruler, Messiah, and Lord was Jesus? When asked if he knew Jesus, Peter responds with "I don't know this man, I thought I did but now I guess I never really did." You see, we are blessed with being able to see the "big picture" while Peter only saw that night. Three years of traveling with Jesus now seemed like a total waste of time to Peter. Peter goes back to fishing. The game is over. The dream is gone. Jesus was now only chapter in Peter's life. However, Peter would soon see the "big picture" as well and he would become the leader of the church in every way. Jesus tells us in Matthew that a day will come when He will tell some people that He never knew them. Yes, even though they said the right words, did the right deeds and looked the part, Jesus will walk away from them. If Jesus can say that He did know me, then I can also say that I never knew Him. What a horrible thought! Is there anything in your life right now that is more important than knowing Jesus? No! We have the Holy Spirit, we have the Scriptures and we have 2,000 years of church history to help us know Jesus quite well. We are to be pitied more than Peter if we "don't know this man" as we can and should.
Be blessed,

Dan

Copyright 2008 Eternity Minded Ministries
http://www.eternityminded.org/

No comments: