Monday, June 2, 2008

Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow

Dan Owens and a ministry team of 31 believers are currently ministering to the people of Punchana, Iquitos, Peru.

The following is an excerpt from Dan Owens book, A Faith That Is Real.

For more information about our ministry in Iquitos or books by Dan Owens, visit
www.eternityminded.org.

Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow (James 1:16-18)

A seven-year old boy cannot stop fidgeting during Sunday school. He tries to pay attention, but it is so hard to sit still. Finally, he can't take it any longer, and he yells out to the teacher, "Can we hurry up? This is so boring."

A little girl turns quickly, punches him in the side, and says, "Be quiet. It's supposed to be boring."

One of my greatest fears when I am speaking is that people will think I am boring. I had some boring professors in college, and I have heard boring pastors at times. I don't want to be like them; I don't want to put people to sleep.

Are we bored with church and with God? Do we look at the world and think it looks like fun because God is so boring?" Do we feel that God is mundane?

If so, James says to us, "Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (1:16-17).

Why are we bored with God? Because our hearts are distracted by the world. We need a better understanding of who God is. We need to know his character. Then we can praise the God from whom all blessings flow.

God is Not Out to Destroy Us
The word James uses for God in this passage is Father (1:17). In Matthew 7:11, Jesus reminded us that even earthly fathers give good gifts to their children. How much more will our heavenly Father give us good gifts? Don't be deceived into thinking that somehow God is trying to trip you up and destroy you. He cares for you even more than an earthly father cares for his children.

I am worried somestimes by how easily I can be deceived. My mind plays tricks on me and tells me that something is okay when it's not. Someone once said, "The ingenuity of self-deception is inexhaustible." So James tells us not to be deceived. God is our Father, says James, and he is not trying to put sin in our way.

We cringe when we read stories in the newspaper of parents who have done horrible things to their kids. When we read a story about a mother who killed her own children, we groan inside and think, "How in the world could a parent do such a thing?"

When I think of my own kids, I can't imagine doing anything to cause them pain. But I have to remember that earthly fathers are not perfect. God, our heavenly Father, is perfect, and he does not want to see us in pain. James reminds us in the previous verses that God is not the one who tempts us. He does not seek to do us harm. On the contrary, he wants to bless us.

Be blessed,

Dan

Copyright 2008 Eternity Minded Ministries

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this article. Over the years of my relationship with God I have discovered that it is the proximity of your relationship with God that determines how you enjoy His word. When the relation is strained definitely spending time with him will be boring.

It is sad to note that some people are so care free about eternity that they are not careful about establishing a solid relationship with God. Serving God is not a social activity, it is more than club issue but rather a personal relationship with God.

Imagine you and your close friend. You know when the relationship started and when it was getting closer and closer and if it strains you will immediately notice it.

Recently I had a misunderstanding with a very close friend. I find it difficult spending few minutes with someone whose company I had been enjoying for hours before. It took smoothing the problem out before we could share common time together again.

So watch it, if things of God is becoming boring it is danger signal. God bless you