Monday, February 2, 2009

Jesus: The Creative Word

The following is an excerpt from Who Is This Jesus?
by Daniel Owens

Jesus was involved in creation. God was the Creator, but Jesus, the Word, was his agent. Romans 1:20 states, "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Even nature reveals God's existence and power.

Paul writes that nothing could have existed without Jesus. "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together" (Col. 1:16-17).

I recently watched a special television program about the Orion Nebula. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere and look carefully at the winter sky, you'll see the constellation of Orion, "the hunter." Orion has a belt made out of three stars close together. Another three stars seem to hang down from that belt. They represent his sword. If you view those three stars through binoculars or a telescope, you'll notice that the middle one appears to be a little on the fuzzy side. The reason? It's a nebula-the Orion Nebula.

After watching this program, I logged onto the Internet and found a picture of the Orion Nebula. It awed and amazed me to realize I could see something that is two thousand light-years away from my own driveway. It must be huge!

The creation of those amazing stars is just one activity in which God was involved when he created our planet. And John says that the Word was with God. That means Jesus also was involved in creation.

Not only that, but our Savior is not some long-dead individual who lived two thousand years ago and who today doesn't have a clue what you or I may be going through. Hebrews 4:15 tells us Jesus was "tempted in every way, just as we are." This Savior knows you very well. This Savior is intimately acquainted with all of your ways. David describes this knowledge in Psalm 139:

O Lord, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O Lord . . . .
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
(vv.1-4, 13)

This Savior knows what causes you pain and what brings you joy. He knows the sorrow you're dealing with right now, and he knows your plans for tomorrow. He's not impersonal or uncaring-he wants to communicate with us, to share with us, to lead and guide us.

Jesus is the creative Word who created everything we see, and he wants to experience tender intimacy with his creation.

Blessings to you,

Dan

Copyright 2009 Eternity Minded Ministries

No comments: